Slider

How to Make the Best Burp Cloths

Thursday, June 28, 2012

There are lots of babies coming our way this summer, three to be exact!  I love little itty bitty babies with their little toes, little fingers, and little everything.  It is hard to believe that Cindy was that itty bitty not too long ago.

When I was still preggo one of the gifts I got was burp cloths.  Not those thin ones that spit up soaks right through but burp cloths made from cloth diapers.  They are the best!  I would put one in her play pen, the couch, her crib and not have to worry about washing an entire sheet or cushion.  So I thought I would make some for the new babies.  Isn't it cute?  If you want to know how to dye the burp cloth see the tutorial HERE.


They are super easy to make and all you need are some cloth diapers and flannel [or fabric].  I like flannel because it is soft just be sure to use quilting flannel as opposed to the cheap stuff.  The cheap stuff is cheap for a reason it washes horrible.  If you can get a hold of it, try to use the cloth diapers made in the USA.  The quality is so much better than the ones made in China.  I wanted the cloths to have color so I did an experiment and fabric dyed them.  I will share more about this next week.
The first thing you do is lay out the cloth diaper and cut the flannel larger.  Be sure the right side of the flannel is facing up, pin and sew all the way around leaving an opening on the side [shown in the next picture].  I like to sew as close to the edge as possible about 1/8 of an inch.

Trim off the excess, but leave the excess where the opening is.  It makes it easier to tuck in later.

Be sure to trim the corners.

Then flip the entire thing right side out.  Tuck in the excess fabric from the opening.  Pin and sew all the way around as close to the edge as possible [about 1/8 of an inch].  

To finish it off, I like to sew down the lines on the cloth diaper.  The arrows show what I am talking about.

In no time you have a really cute burp cloth [or cloth diaper].  

12 comments:

  1. Cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the dye affect the absorbency of the diapers? I have organic cotton prefolds I use as burp cloths and would love to make them cute but I am nervous about losing absorbency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did not affect the absorbency of my cloth diapers at all.

      Delete
  3. What did you use to dye the cloth diaper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tutorial for it is http://makeitcozee.blogspot.de/2012/07/how-to-dye-onsies-and-cloth-diapers.html it's the RIT dye.

      Delete
  4. I would love to make some of these for my daughter who is expecting twins in August. How much flannel material did you use? Just curious as how much material I will need to buy at the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for 3 you can fit about a half a yard. I would just bring the burp cloths with you to the fabric store just to be sure it's been awhile since I have made these.

      Also, my daughter was a spitter so I preferred the 6 but you can get away with using the 3.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you wash the flannel first?
    I can't wait to do a bit of nesting for my second baby-I definitely lived with a burp cloth on my shoulder for the first six months with my oldest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should wash both the flannel and the diaper so they are both shrunk and wash them in whatever temperature the recipient will be washing them in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Where did you find cloth diapers made in the US? I've only found the cheap kind made in china and it feels so flimsy :/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tech support for Kaspersky customer service number +1-800-891-5603 for help Contact or to install/uninstall, plan renewal and technical help by kaspersky support USA.
    visit Kaspersky Antivirus Support | 1(800)8915603 , kaspersky customer service

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright