Slider

Family Recipes

Thursday, September 22, 2011

I have really enjoyed spending time with Aunt Coleen, helping out with dinner and just talking about family.  We share stories and simply enjoy one another's company.  It reminds me how much I actually miss being surrounded by family. 

One of the things we ooze over is food of course.  She is an awesome cook [all the Mullen gals are] and they learned a lot from their mom [the wonderful Grandma Norma].  I already have learned a lot from her in the short time I have been here.  There is something so special about being in the kitchen and cooking together.  

I myself have many memories of being in the kitchen with my mom baking and bonding.  When Boo gets older I hope to share moments like those with her.   Teaching her how to cook and bake recipes that have been passed on from one generation to the next.  Sharing the stories or memories hidden at the core those special family recipes.  And call me old fashioned but I want to tell her, you need to learn to cook for your future husband hehe.  What can I say, there is something very satisfying about cooking a great meal and seeing my hubby enjoy it. 

One food that is a family staple is rice.  Whenever I cooked Mexican food I would use the seasoned rice that comes in the bag.  Then one day, my hubby said you should try to make rice like my Grandma Selena.  She puts onions it and it is really good!  So I tried.

I personally like my rice loaded with tomatoes and lots of seasoning so I did that and just added some onion as requested.  Good but no cigar, he kindly responded that it wasn't the way his grandma makes it.  She makes it plain but it tastes so good.  After lots and lots of tries I finally came really close [at least close enough for him] and now this is the rice I always serve with our Mexican dishes.  I think it kinda reminds him of his childhood.  So here is our family's version of Spanish rice.  Sorry for the lack of measurements, I kind of just wing it.

You start by heating up some oil.  Once it is hot hot hot add the onions and cook on medium heat until they are translucent.

Add the garlic and be sure not to burn it. It should start to smell very yummy in the kitchen.

Add the uncooked rice and get that toasty.  I usually do a cup for our family.

Once the rice is toasty add some water.   I was making enchiladas so I used the broth from the chicken.  About 2 cups.

Even though I used the broth, I like to add the chicken bouillon for some flavor.  I just added less than I usually do.  Add it according to your own taste.

Turn up that heat and bring it to a boil.

Put a lid on it [leaving just a little crack to let some steam out], turn your heat to low, and let it simmer about 20 to 25 minutes.

I forgot to take a picture of it done but it is really yummy.   And what did we pair with the rice?  Some yummy enchiladas [and beans of course].  It looks a little naked now but I usually add the cheese about 15 minutes before I pull it out of the oven.  Anyone out there have an amazing recipe for enchiladas.  This one is just Ok.

As much as my hubby likes this plain boring rice, I forsee it staying in our family for years to come. 

3 comments:

  1. Aha...looks yummy!
    I finally realized how much I LOVE Chipotle's rice..so I decided to "put them to the test"....I've come up w my own version of their cilantro lime rice....sooooo good!! & that's what I make w our Spanish dishes...another plus - its very versatile!!!

    Happy Cooking!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! There is something so amazing about cooking a great meal for your family. Its a very satisfying feeling. I make my enchiladas with LOTS of onions both cooked in the meat and sprinkled inside. The rice looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really awesome blog. I love it. So nice and welcoming i just love the way this website has been done. Love it. office.com/setup also check this one office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright