Slider

Simple Very Hungry Caterpillar Dress Tutorial

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

This year I had the pleasure of making two dresses both of which I will be sharing a tutorial for.  The Party dress tutorial can be found HERE.  I had all this extra fabric from Boo Bear's dress so I decided to make her best friend a party dress as well.  It's a simple dress, but really cute!  And just a note, the tutorial for attaching the caterpillar will come in another post. 

I started by creating a pattern for the basic dress using the width, shape, and length of a dress she already has.

It ended up like a trapezoid and I ruffled the top portion.

As you can see, the top matches the width of the dress.

I created some bias tape from a 2 inch strip of fabric to cover the raw edges at the top.  I was apparently dyslexic when I took the bias tape pictures.  Anyways, the bottom is the strip and the top is how it looks after it is ironed to be bias tape.

Then, added a 2 inch trim to the bottom portion.

Turn the dress inside out so the right sides are together and sew down the sides making sure to leave an opening at the top.  This will be the arm hole.

Now for the more challenging part.  I cut 2 very long strips measuring 1.25 inches in width and turned it into bias tape.  This was used to cover the arm holes and for the straps.  Sorry for the lack of pictures in this step.

And before you know it you have a super cute Very Hungry Caterpillar dress!  The left picture is the back and the right one is of the front.

I absolutely love this print and don't you love those sparkly red party shoes!?  I got them for $3 on clearance!  

14 comments:

  1. Super cute Patty! Good job! But just an FYI bias tape is supposed to be cut on bias (that's why it's called that way) so it can follow the shape of the fabric that you're sewing it on to. If you cut it horizontally it won't really look as nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucie. I know, if I had enough of the dot fabric to cut the bias tape correctly I would have but I was only working with scraps so oh well :p

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you mean - bias tape is a huge yardage eater LOL
    In case you ever need some plain colored bias tape let me know, I have a few hundred yards in several different colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I never make bias tape the way its supposed to because when you sew on a budget you can't! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I never make bias tape the way its supposed to because when you sew on a budget you can't! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a super easy way to make true bias tape out of a fat quarter (18x24") netting 5 yards. It's my new favorite way to do it with very little fabric. Tutorial here: http://jonag.typepad.com/stop_staring_and_start_se/2009/10/turn-one-fat-quarter-into-5-yards.html

      Delete
  5. Where did you get the caterpillar... so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The caterpillar is just a print on fabric, it came in a Very Hungry Caterpillar panel. If you google Very Hungry Caterpillar fabric I am sure you will find it :D

      Delete
  6. What kind of fabric did you use for the actual dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White broadcloth but try not to get the really cheap one or else it will be sort of see through.

      Delete
  7. HI, Patti I love what you do. I was wondering if you had the other tutorial on a different dress that was on pinterest I do not see it here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are here to help you out with the whole procedure to Download Microsoft Office online, We not only fix your MS office setup related issues but will guide with how to get started with your new Office 2016 product once it get installed successfully. So why are you waiting for just ask whatever question you have via live chat online. visit officecom/setup More Info Call Now 1 855 869 6776 For More visit www.office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the tutorial is very simple and I am looking forward to practicing the dress making procedure this coming weekend when I have bought the required material and equipment. Additionally, the dresses are very pretty and colorful and if you need blog articles, feel free to hire our professional writers by clicking on Plagiarism Auditing Help.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright