Slider

How to Start a Garden

Thursday, August 1, 2019

I wish I was a farmer.  How amazing would it be to eat fresh fruits and vegetables straight from the back yard?!  I honestly wouldn't even know where to start.  The idea seems so overwhelming to tackle that the thought stays a dream.  
However, I have a neighbor who is a farmer [in the sense that she grows her own food]!  The more I talk to Krissy the idea becomes feasible.  I asked her some questions that may help me [and you] start our dream garden.  She also has an awesome Pinterest Board you can follow!  

How sweet are her two little helpers?!

1.     What made you want to start a garden?
I enjoyed caring for flowers and other plants, so decided to try a vegetable garden to see how successful I would be.  We also eat a lot of fresh vegetables so I hoped that this would help with the cost of produce.

[squash!!!]

2.    What is the first thing you need to do?
The first thing I did to prepare for the garden was to choose a spot in my yard that would drain well, receive lots of sunlight, and then prepared the soil.  Our soil has a lot of clay in it, so we removed as much clay as we could, then added some regular topsoil. Soon after, we added a soil designed especially for vegetable gardens (bought at Home Depot).


3.    Is there a tutorial you used to build the garden box?
Let me ask Justin… lol. [Linked a youtube video for us hehe]


4.    Which plants are grown from seed and which are bought?
In the first year, I did try to grow most of the vegetables from seed but was unsuccessful.  I now just grow my beans, carrots, and spinach from seed.  The rest is all bought pre-planted.  I do intend to try starting tomatoes from seed next year, now that I’m a bit more experienced.

5.    When do you start planting?
We start the first or second week of May, depending on the weather.

6.    Why are there flowers in the bed?
I plant marigolds in my garden to help repel bugs.  I’ve found they’re successful near the tomatoes and the squash, however, unfortunately, the Japanese Beetles are not bothered by the marigolds!

7.    What does it take to maintain the garden?
It takes a little time, money and lots of patience.  You’ll spend quite a bit of money to start the garden box, and then a little each year for plants and seeds.  I water the garden as needed, usually once a day, and tend to it in other ways while watering it.  It takes time for the plants to start, and unfortunately, patience is needed in years like this when the weather is not ideal, or the bugs are bad.

[she also puts coffee grinds in her garden for the soil]

8.    What is your favorite thing about the garden?
Gardening is a rewarding hobby, as I can actually see the progress and growth of a fresh, organic vegetable that was planted as a tiny seed, and now will feed my family.  I also love watching the kids get excited when the plants start to bud and grow.  They are extremely excited about the orange carrots beneath the soil, and are always excited to see when “Mommy’s Tomatoes” are red and ripe!

Happy planting friends,



Welcome Home is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by sharing and linking for ya'll Patty May's favorite thing from Amazon.


            

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright