Slider

I Want to be a Fun Mom

Thursday, August 15, 2019

We were all sitting on the couch watching the new Mary Poppins movie when the little lady said, "Mom I wish you were Mary Poppins."  After more investigating what she really wanted to tell me without hurting my feelings was she wanted me to do more fun things with them, not simply for them.  The truth may sting but this is no surprise to me.  I know I lean more towards the "striving to accomplish" and less on the "fun mom" side.  

The boss wanted to shush her and list all the things I do and all the places their fun mom takes them but I wanted to hear her out.  What can I do to be a better mom to you?  What is it that you need from me that I am not giving?   Taking a deep breath I brace myself for the critique on my mothering and her list was basic:

1. Not clean as much so we can play legos
2. Do more arts and crafts
3. Sit and watch movies with us
4. Cook more together.

After agreeing with her and telling her I will strive to be the mom she needs me to be God reminded me of Hebrews 12:6 which says, "The Lord disciplines those he loves."  When God disciplines there is no shame and I know he did not want me to feel the mom guilt.   The discipline that came from my eight-year-old was an opportunity to course-correct.  

Being the achiever that I am I wrote out ways to fight the urge to always do and simply be.  Here is how it has translated this past month: 

1.  Schedule Craft Time 
A friend once told me "I bet you're the person who has to schedule in time to rest." Guilty!  I like to schedule most things.  The kids have activities of their own so I've been planning and scheduling one craft time a week.  We simply sit at the table, play some music, and craft away.  

2. Just Us Rule
Many times I can credit moments I am taking the kids to their activities and on play dates as time together but in reality, they are not times together.  These are simply fun times.  The rule means every day we do something together, just us.  

3. Turn Chores into Times Together
 The kids fold and put away their own laundry but I've been making it a point to make this time I spend with them.  When we are sitting and rolling their bundles of clothes together it gives us an opportunity to just chat.  I take the time to help each one of them and then send them off to put the folded clothes in away on their own.  It's a win for both of us. 

I wish I could say I am now a "fun mom" but it's something I work on every day.  I'm better at it some days than others.  What matters to me most is to have an open heart for my minions.  I want to see their needs and do what I can to provide them, even if that means changing myself first.

From the fun mom in progress,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright