Slider

Meal Planning

Thursday, March 7, 2013

I mentioned I was meal planning on Facebook and a friend encouraged me to share my system and I got really inspired.  Since I just wrote out my list and did my to do's I thought now is the best time.  
For those of you waiting for the VHC Dress Tutorial hang in there I am going to push really hard to have it done this weekend! 

Now this routine and my little crazy system was not birthed over night.  There was trial and error before I finally found something that worked for me and something I was able to stick to.  I do have to say it not has not only helped me to keep our grocery bill consistent and down but it saves me a lot of headache during the week wondering what I am going to make for dinner.    

So here goes... Let me introduce you to my grocery list.  I use to print it out every week, but since I got a laminating machine for Christmas I laminated it and use a sharpie to write on it.  Each week I wipe it clean with nail polish remover and start all over again.  It also fits nice and neat in my coupon pouch. 

I tape it to a cabinet wall and keep a Sharpie close by.  If I realize I need something I just write it down right then and there otherwise I will forget.   

On the back, I have a list of all the meals we have on a regular basis [written in pink] categorized by food type [Asian, American, Italian, Mexican].  As you can see I'm not much of a cook.  I usually only try a new recipe once or twice a month but my husband prefers me to stick to what I know.   If a recipe is really good it gets inducted to The List.  So each week, I write what we are going to eat [in no particular order].  I don't like designating a certain meal to a certain day because you never know what kind of day you will have.  I also like to pair meals that use the same meat.  This saves money and waste.  For example I will cook pulled pork and chili verde the same week because then I can buy a huge pork shoulder for both.  In the purple you can see what our main meals are with the sides.  I also add what Saturday morning breakfast we will have.

Then, I run through each meal and think about what I need to make each meal.  I start to fill in what I need from the store on the other side.  This side of the list is written based on the aisles at the grocery store.  I hate hitting the same aisle twice.  I also make note if I need to buy two of a certain item because of a coupon I have.

And sometimes I think, do I have a can of pinto beans already in the cabinet?  Well, to make life a little easier I laminated a piece of paper and wrote an inventory of what is in my cabinet using a white board crayon.  I prefer the crayon to the marker because it doesn't wipe off as easy.  It's silly but it works.  I only have one set of cabinets and this saves me so much time!  I don't have to dig every time I am unsure I have something, plus I am not buying extras of something I already have.  

I do the same on the other side with my seasoning packets.  This Christmas I also got a seasoning organizer.  I love it!  It's a little pricey but has been totally worth it.

And just a quick organizing tip, turn tables are amazing in cabinets.  More kitchen organizing ideas HERE

Once the list is written, I am ready to hit the store with my coupons.  I'll share about couponing another time along with a tutorial for the coupon pouch.  To finish off the madness, I write the weekly menu on my chalk board so I can clean the back of my grocery list.  [This was last week's menu].  

I know it seems like a lot of work and hassle but this system works for me.  I spend one hour every week meal planning and gathering coupons.  I can be in and out of the grocery store in 45 minutes and only make one trip [with a two year old].  In reality it really isn't that much time, not to mention it saves money.  So I encourage you to find a system that works for you!  

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I feel inspired to work out a system of my own! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word... I need to up my game... Thanks for posting this... I am in the trial and error mode, but our system is VERY similar... This is awesome, you are one super mama!!!

    I will be emailing you... I have a few ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are here to help you out with the whole procedure to Download Microsoft Office online, We not only fix your MS office setup related issues but will guide with how to get started with your new Office 2016 product once it get installed successfully. So why are you waiting for just ask whatever question you have via live chat online. visit officecom/setup More Info Call Now 1 855 869 6776 For More visit www.office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright