Slider

Tutorial: How to Sew a Ruffled Butt Onsie

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Nothing is more adorable than a little girl with a ruffled bum.  I seriously love it!  And for those itty bitty newborns, it makes tummy time that much more adorable, don't you think? [If you are wondering how I got this orange onsie, it is dyed and you can find that tutorial here. ]  Now lets get started on making this ruffled cutie. 
You start with strips of fabric [fold your fabric over a few times and cut].  The thicker the strip, the larger the ruffle.  You want each strip a little over twice the length of the onsie. 
Set your machine to create a zig zag stitch to prevent fraying when washed.  For mine, I set the length to 1 and the width to 5.  Zig zag all the way around.
 Once the edges are sealed with the zig zag stitch, find the center of strip and mark with a pin.  Then sew one regular long stitch [without back stitching] to the halfway point.  Then again from the halfway point to the other end.  [You can see my stitch in the second picture where the arrows are pointing].  Pin the center of the strip to the center of the onsie. 
To start ruffling, you will pull on one of the threads on the end.  Ruffle to the center and pin it.  You will repeat the process on the other end.
Once the entire thing is pinned, tuck the ends of each side under. 
Sew as close to the top edge as possible and repeat the proceess for the second and third ruffle.  Ruffle number two will go right under the first ruffle and so on. 
Now I didn't want to leave the front plain and boring so I monogrammed it with a ruffled letter.  I know, I know I am ruffle mad.  But you gotta admit it looks pretty darn cute!
And there you have it, a ruffle in the front and a ruffle in the back.

2 comments:

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright