Slider

3 Ways to Beat Dreading... (the day, work, exercise, you fill in the blank)

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Are you in a habit ofdreading?  If you groan, incessantly complain, and are discouraged over an unpleasant task, then you my friend aredreading it.  Dread can take a challenging time or action and make it even harder.  Dread robs us of joy and seeing the good that could come with the hard. 



After an awesome spring break, I knew I was in the danger of dreadingcoming back to school.  I love my students, I love teaching, but doing so virtually has burst my bubble.  It took away the best part of my job, the physical interaction with the students.  I made up my mind before we started that I would NOTcomplain or dread.  I was going to give this week my best effort and attitude.  Here is what I learned about battling dread:

1. GRATITUDE
The second that dread appears I fight it with gratitude.  In 1 Thessalonians 5:18 Paul says to give thanks in all circumstances.  Gratitude has a way of shifting our hearts.  I speak over and sometimes out loud against where my mind wants to go. 
I’m grateful to have a job.  I’m grateful for a space in my home that I can sit and work.  I’m grateful for my students who make me smile. 


2. PURPOSE
Remembering the purpose helps to fight off those dreadful thoughts.  Why are you doing what you’re doing?  Why is it important that you do so with the right attitude?  In my desk drawer I keep an affirmation card that says I am passionate followed by Colossians 3:23, “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.”  
This is a season where God is teaching me faithfulness no matter what the circumstance looks like.  I have been given an opportunity to speak to the lives of these students even from a distance.  My attitude sets the example to my kids about how to react when work is hard. 

3. WORDS 
It only takes a few words to change the meaning of a sentence.  Proverbs 18:21 tells us that the power of life and death are in the tongue.  We get to choose how we talk about the challenging things in our lives.  Are we speaking truth and hope or dread and death?  What we repeatedly say or think either lifts us up or weighs us down.  There is a difference between: I can’t wait for the year to be over and I’m going to give the end of this year my best. 

In times like these it is easy to dread.  It’s easy to focus on the challenge ahead with defeated thoughts.  I encourage you to think twice.  Remember that Christ has given us the power to be transformed by the renewing of our mind (Romans 12:2).  We can’t take captive those dreadful thoughts with thanks, remembering our purpose, and speaking life over what is to come. 

Fight on friends, 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright