Slider

The Stranger Habit

Wednesday, April 15, 2020




When I see something in someone that is valuable, I take note and make it my mission to replicate it.  My little sister has this amazing habit of speaking life to whoever she sees, especially strangers.  So, I’m calling this the Stranger Habit.  Maybe God made her that way, but seeing the beauty of her small gesture made it a habit worth developing.

I was visiting California for her graduation.  She picked me up in her Prius, I ate vegan chili at a trendy vegan restaurant, I slept in a room she shared with her roommate, we had an acai bowl and Starbucks for breakfast, and you get the itinerary for this trip.  There was a whole lot of going out.  She probably didn’t realize it but everywhere we went she scanned, found something she liked about the server or cashier, and told them.  She made it a point to ask them how they were doing. 

Like a fly on the wall, I watched the response of the stranger. Every single one lit up.  Simple words literally gave them a little life, some pep in their step, a smile on their face.  The flicker that lit the candle was so brief if you weren’t paying attention you may have missed what caused the flame, but it was magical. 

As the little girl who hid behind my mom’s skirt, a shyness that followed me into adulthood, I was uncomfortable just watching her interactions with these strangers.  Uncomfortable but inspired.  I left California hungry for meat and for a desire to brighten a day with words.  I pity those workers who received my first attempts at these awkward compliments and conversations but after about fifty times it became natural. 

I’ve done this so many times it is a habit that is so ingrained in my being.  Whether you are a stranger or friend, there is a 90% chance I will compliment you when I see you. These compliments aren’t empty, they’re sincere honest truths.  I will find something I like; your sweater, shoes, hair, smile, hug, attitude… and I will let you know.  I will let you know even if you’re a little cranky or treating me rude at the checkout line.  Why?  Because it’s worth it to see you smile and to give you some encouragement.

This is the most awkward habit to develop but so worth it. It cost us nothing but our pride to speak life so I say let’s develop this stranger habit and give away as many compliments we can in our lifetime. 


I'll see you next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright