Slider

One Hit Wonder

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Today, a friend asked me what God has been teaching me and here is my response:

I don't want to live my life waiting for a "one hit wonder" moment.  God has been teaching me that the things he wants to develop take time, faithfulness, and patience.  The daily mundane tasks are serving their purpose and to be honest, sometimes I don’t know what that purpose is or will be.  The small thank you to the boss for how he cares for us draws us closer together and continually builds our relationship.  Cooking with the kids (as messy and slow as it can be) is building their ability and independence in the kitchen.  One day I hope they’ll cook for me or others confidently.  The endless washing of dishes producing self-discipline to not complain and faithfulness to try to complete the small.  

It’s the small daily tasks added together that make the impact over time.  These seemingly small actions take daily effort and stewardship to establish.  

I think about the David and Goliath story (1 Samuel 17).  David wasn’t a foolish young man. He didn’t try to take on Goliath with only hope.  David was a slinger with fierce faith.  A slinger in those days would be equivalent to a sniper in our modern day.  He knew his ability.   I sometimes wonder if David came to realize before going to see Goliath that this is why God had him in the pastures.  Did he understand that the lion and bear he slayed was in preparation for this big moment?  I wonder how awful his first attempt was at using the sling.  How many rocks must he have gone through each and every day for years to establish his skill.   David lived his every day prior to his “one hit wonder”.  Of course, he didn’t end up only being a one hit wonder but building an imperfect but well lived life and legacy.  

I am in my own sort of pasture, even at thirty-ish. There is a lot of learning, failing, and establishing skills.  There is waiting and being faithful.  Each pasture season is helping me to prepare for the lions, bears, and Goliaths that come. God has been teaching me to appreciate even the most mundane of tasks because each one serves its purpose.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright