Slider

I am Just a Procrastinator... but is that WHO I AM?

Monday, May 11, 2020


Habits go beyond the process and strategies.  The more I study habits the clearer it becomes that psychology, personality, and tendency also play a large role.

Reading Atomic Habitsby James Clear highlighted a concept that I never considered when it comes to building habits.  IDENTITY.  His premise is that habits and behavior begin with identity. “Your current habits are simply a reflection of your current identity.” If you identify as someone who is healthy, you’ll most likely have habits and desires to build habits that correlate with a healthy lifestyle.  The majority of time you will eat well, exercise, get enough sleep, and take your gummy vitamins.  

When I was reading in the Old Testament, the story of Moses showed

the concept of identity and action. God was telling Moses to go back to Egypt so he can free the Israelites and in Exodus 3:19-20 God says:
“But I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go unless a mighty hand forces him.  So, I will raise my hand and strike the Egyptians, performing all kinds of miracles among them.  Then at last he will let you go.  And I will cause the Egyptians to look favorably on you.  They will give you gifts when you go so you will not leave empty-handed.”

God tells Moses exactlyhow it will play out AND the outcome of all the events.  What was his response?  

But Moses protested again, “What if they won’t believe me or listen to me?” Exodus 4:1

God was telling Moses that he is a speaker and a leader (and even if he wasn’t a good one yet God was going to help him).  Moses was held back by fear, his limited belief of God’s power, and his own idea of who he was.  He did not identify as a leader or a speaker so he continually doubted and made excuses.  Stop procrastinating Moses and pack your bags!

The concept of identity and action made me look at my own life and the habit I am fine tuning this month which is planning.  Why does planning come in waves?  What identities have I taken on that allow me to make excuses for behavior that I can change? 
1. I am just a procrastinator.
2. You know me, always late.
3. I am forgetful

I know I will procrastinate, be late, and forget many times in life but I truly believe that this is the person I am.  I have avoided learning ways to plan work, manage my time, and consistently keep a calendar for my family because that’s just not who I am.  LIES.  The truth is I don’t identify as someone who is a planner, prompt, and good with time management.  The truth is I may not be good at planning doesn’t mean I am not a planner.  

REFLECTION
1. What type of person do you want to be?
2. What lies or excuses do you make that prevent you from learning and becoming that person?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright