Slider

My Food Story

Thursday, April 9, 2020

The last few weeks I have enjoyed cooking with the kids more than I ever have.  Maybe because it is less of me doing and more of seeing them do what I've been teaching them for years.  It might be the smiles from ear to ear when their dad says that is the best oatmeal he has ever had.  I wonder, are they falling in love with cooking and food the way I did? 

I have some memories of being in the kitchen with my mom baking, but I didn’t enjoy cooking until I fell head over heels for Randy.  Food became more than a delicious meal but an offering, my favorite way to express love.   When I read the story of Elijah in the desert I realized, this is why I love to cook.   

In 1 King 18 Elijah had his big glory momentand God used him to show the people His power.  Queen Jezebel was already killing off the Lords prophets and this put a target on Elijah’s back.  Elijah ran for his life and in 1 Kings 19 it says he was afraid.  He was so afraid he asked God to take his life, but that is not what God did. 

God sends an angel who fed him bread and water.  An angel that encouraged him to rest.  1 Kings 19:8 says he got up and ate and drank. Strengthened by that food, he traveled forty days and forty nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God. 

Right then and there I saw that God can use even a plate of food to restore, encourage, give hope, and express love.  Serving food to my family, to mommy friends over for a play date, those who come to stay and visit is my offering.  Buying food for a stranger, a friend in need or just because, cups of coffee to be shared, feed the body but God can use it to free the soul. 

As I watch my kids cook and set the table

I see their eagerness to serve.  I hope they see I’m passing on more than just a life skill to them by teaching them to cook but a piece of my heart.  Aside from pride of their independence they experience the joy and opportunity to feed others.  They witness how God can take breaking bread and turn it into great memories at the table.

Food is so much more than flavors that make my taste buds dance. It is God’s provision and an open invitation to give what he has given to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright