Slider

Tutorial: Updated Hand Print Ornament

Monday, November 26, 2012

Remember that hand print ornament I made for my hubby when he was deployed during Christmas last year?  Well, I decided to make some for family back home as gifts this year.  Here is the updated version of that tutorial.  The second time you make something always seems to be better.  But if you think these are cute, just wait a few days because I have some even more darling hand print ornaments to share! 

Here is the recipe again:
2 cups of flour 
1/2 cup of salt
3/4 cup of warm water

**Tip** if you want your dough to be a certain color [I made mine green] add food coloring to the water.  
Mix the salt and flour mixture up really well.  Slowly add the salt water and stir. Knead the dough and let those little fingers have some fun!  I rolled out little awkward circles onto wax paper so it is easy to transfer to a baking sheet.  Push her hand print on it, the thinner the better, but of course not too thin. 

Then, I found a bowl that was about the size of her hand and used it as a cookie cutter.  Poke holes using a straw or a pen.

Last year I had some trouble with bubbling.  To prevent the dough from rising, cook it at a much lower temperature for longer.  I cooked it at 200 degrees for a few hours.  Pretty much until they got hard as rocks.  Once they are cooked, get the paint out and all you need a cotton swab to paint.  I used cheap acrylic.  You can use a toothpick and paint to write the name on the back.  I used a Sharpie.

Once the paint is dry get the Modge Podge out.  Last year I used clear spray paint.  It came out nice and glossy.  Either one is fine.  The proper gloss to use is an acrylic spray gloss.  Modge Podge worked just as great though.  And if you have never used this amazing stuff before be sure to apply only a thin layer.  Let it dry completely and then apply another layer.  If you apply it too thick, it will dry white and sticky.  

See the difference?  Before Modge Podge and after.  I put two coats.

String with ribbon and you have a great and sentimental gift for the grandparents. 

Now, don't rush off and decide to make these just yet!  I got creative and made a Santa version, Rudolph, and Christmas tree version.  So stay tuned!  

6 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful idea - I wonder if I could get my cat to stay still long enough to get her paw print - my parents would get a kick out of it.

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Would love if you'd join our Countdown to Christmas link party! Hope to see you there! Have a great week! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/2012_11_27_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Was wondering about the recipe though. It says to mix salt and flour and slowly add salt water. Is that a typo and meant to say slowly add warm water? or do we also add salt to warm water? Just wanting to make sure so I can make these.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for the clear directions. we followed them and made our own:

    http://www.pinkstripeysocks.com/2012/12/hand-and-feet-salt-dough-ornaments.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are here to help you out with the whole procedure to Download Microsoft Office online, We not only fix your MS office setup related issues but will guide with how to get started with your new Office 2016 product once it get installed successfully. So why are you waiting for just ask whatever question you have via live chat online. visit officecom/setup More Info Call Now 1 855 869 6776 For More visit www.office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright