Slider

Mini Tutorial: Red Riding Hood Cape

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Okay enough resting for me I have finally recovered from our visitors and mini getaway and now I'm back.  Lot's going on, lots on my sewing table, and big news... I know the sex of Baby Bear!  Follow me on facebook or instagram and you can find out tonight.

Anywhoo... was trying really hard to get this post out before Halloween but there was too much crazy and it didn't happen.  I figure you can either save it for next year or make a cape just for fun, maybe to add to the dress up wardrobe for boy or girl.  

I thought about just buying the red riding hood costume and then making a thicker more elaborate cape, but I just couldn't find one that I liked so I ended up making it.  I wish I had a tutorial for the dress but I don't because I kind of just made it up as I went along.  

It's really similar to the Very Hungry Caterpillar dress except it has that foe vest portion and the sleeves are bigger.  I also like dresses to be more fitted at the waist so I added the little apron and attached the front portion on so it won't fall off.  We all know how two year old kiddos are.  

There are a million cape tutorials out there and videos.  This is a mini tutorial and my version, but I recommend you google it and find a tutorial you like.  This was my first pancake flop so it isn't perfect.

Because her dress was so full I wanted the cape to be just as full.  With our colder weather here in Colorado I also lined the cape with flannel to keep her extra warm.  Capes are basically circle skirts except 3/4 or 1/2 of the skirt.  I substituted the waist measurement with the measurement around her shoulder area.  Once the circle is cut make an opening in the front as shown in the second picture.  Repeat with the lining. 

I made a hood template with one of her hood sweaters and made it larger.  Cut and sewed the outer and the lining so you have two separate pieces. 

The lining will be right side out and the outer will be inside out. Tuck the lining inside the outer portion and line up the bottom opening.  You will sew around the face area and leave the bottom opening open.  Then flip it and tuck the lining inside the outer portion.  

Top stitch around the face opening.  I used a decorative stitch just for fun. 

 Follow this for the cape portion leaving the top portion open.  Flip it right side out and top stitch all around the cape portion.  Because the cape will be much larger than the hood you will sew it so it scrunches like in the first picture.  Pin it to the hood.  Be sure to line up the center of the hood to the center of the cape and sew it together.

I then used a thick ribbon to create a casing for the ribbon used to tie a bow in the front. 

It also covers the raw edge where you sewed the cape and the hood together.


Run some satin ribbon in the casing and tada a cape.  I hope my instructions were clear, it is actually a really simple project and doesn't take much time. 

It looked just darling on my little Red Riding Hood and kept her nice and warm!

I abosultely love the little dress on her.  Reminds me so much of being back in Germany!  She could have worn it to Oktoberfest. 

So that's it for a mini tutorial on how to make a cape.  You can get creative, make a super hero one, a princess one, or whatever.  Would make a great little gift for Christmas too!

Happy Tuesday everyone!

3 comments:

  1. She is the cutest little peanut!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress! This tutorial inspires me to make my own red riding hood dress for Halloween :) I just have one question: under the dress, is she wearing some kind of cancan?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, my e-mail is info@sincobertura.com
    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright