Slider

How to Make a Handprint Ornament

Sunday, December 4, 2011

UPDATED VERSION HERE

Having a kid to do crafts with is just a dream come true for me.  It is something I have always looked forward to when dreaming about having kids... dreaming about all the things I would do with my kids or in this case just Boo Boo.  Well, she may be too young to enjoy the crafts but it isn't stopping this mama. 

As I put together Christmas box number two for my hubby, I wanted to fill it this one with decorations and little tid bits.  We already made him a wreath with her hand prints and I really wanted to make him an ornament with her hand print as well.  I bought this kit from TJ Max and though it looked good from far away, it was all soft, lightweight, and just cheap.  Oh well!  

It worked out because I decided to make it myself and it came out really cute!  The best part is, it is super duper easy and would be such a fun craft if you have little ones.  Isn't it adorable hanging on the tree?!


Well here is how you make it. Put 2 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of salt, and 3/4 cup of water in a bowl and mix.

Knead it about twenty or more times.  If it is dry just add a little more water. 

At this point, if you have older kids you can roll the dough out really thin [because it will rise like sugar cookies] and use cookie cutters like Christmas trees, a star, gingerbread men, etc.  If you are doing the hand print make the dough a little thicker but not too thick.  Because I don't have my round cookie cutter on hand I just used this plastic up and it worked perfectly. 

I forgot to put flour on the board so I had to use a spatula to scrape it off... so don't you forget to flour your surface.  Just a tip, you can create a really nice imprint if you slightly brush the dough with some water.  I grabbed my wiggly worm, and pressed her hand really deep into the ornament.  The deeper the print the better because as I mentioned before, the dough is going to rise.

 Place it on a foil lined cookie sheet, use a straw or a pen to make a hole on the top and bake at 300 degrees.

Now there is one problem I ran into when doing the imprint, which is the palm portion would rise.  So, you can either poke small holes in it when it is still soft or.... you can take it out of the oven when it is still cooking and you notice it rising, poke a hole using a toothpick, then take a damp paper tower and gently press the air out.  Then, put it back in.  Do this as much as you need to until the dough is cooked. 

Bake it for about 30 minutes or until it becomes golden brown and hard.  It will harden more as it cools. If it is still soft in the middle keep baking it!

Now it is time to have some fun and make it all pretty.  You will need some Acyrlic paint, ribbon, and crystal clear enamel spray paint to make it glossy.

I can't wait until Boo is old enough to enjoy this part because it is my favorite!!  Take your colors and paint the ornament.  Now I didn't have my paint brushes around, so I used my finger and a Q tip for the smaller areas.  Let it dry and paint the other side.  Don't forget to write your child's name and year on the back.

Once the ornament is dry, take it outside and spray paint it to make it glossy.  It is best to do a few small coats instead of one thick coat.  Spray the bottom side first and them do the top side.

Add the ribbon, tie a cute bow and WALA.  Isn't it just darling?!?  I hope he likes it and I know it will be something we will keep it for years and years and years.

It is a really fun craft and would make great gifts for the grandparents too.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, Im gonna have to add this to our to-do list too lol. Gee, thanks! Haha! I'd love one of these with Dazlynn's wittle bitty hands =) Cute Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use self-rising or plain flour? Margaret: ballard418@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really awesome blog. I love it. So nice and welcoming i just love the way this website has been done. Love it. office.com/setup also check this one office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright