Slider

How to Make a Tutu

Friday, October 28, 2011

I am a big fan of holidays.  I love love love every part of it.  Because of the craziness in life I have not had the chance to really do all that I like to during this wonderful time when the leaves start to change and the fall chill comes creeping in.  We didn't break one tradition which  was heading out to the pumpkin patch.  This was Boo's first ever pumpkin patch so being the crazy mom that I am, I had to make her a very festive outfit.  I couldn't help it. 

This is the first time I have ever made a tutu so it was quite the learning expereince.  I have to say that this poor scraggily tutu was a big first pancake flop but thankfully that it turned out okay in the pictures.  Just a disclaimer that there are probably a million different ways to make tutu's but this was just how I did it.

So you need some tulle and elastic.  I got 2.5 yards of tulle and measured the elastic to fit Boo's waist.  The width of the strips of tulle make a big difference on how the tutu will look.  I wish I would have cut the strips a lot thicker!  Figure out how long you want your tutu then double that measurement and that is the length of the tulle strips.

After sewing the elastic together I put it around my leg and started knotting the tulle onto it.  I folded the tulle in half and slid the closed side under the elastic.

Then put the two bottom ends through the loop.

Then pull the two loose ends down.

Push it aside and keep building that tutu.  The thicker the strips, the less time it will take. 

Then before you know it you have the makings of an adorable tutu.  When it is all finished, you can trim the ends so they are even.

Because I lost Boo's black headband I decided to just make her a new and more festive one.  No joke this took me like 10 minutes to make!!  Super easy and super cute. 

Pair these two with a Halloweenie bib [thanks cousin Krista] and she was all set and ready to go to the pumpkin patch!! 

We had a blast and the outfit was perfect!!  Here is a sneak peak and one of my favorites from the day.

1 comment:

  1. So cute! it looks fairly easy too. thank you for sharing.
    CV

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright