Slider

Taking Care of You is NOT Being Selfish

Sunday, August 2, 2015

There is something about us women that we just want to take care of everything and everyone.  We get busy taking care of family, things and people at work, friends, volunteering, trying to do it all.  There's nothing wrong with being busy, but at some point something has to give and most time we sacrifice ourselves for everyone else.  I know, because I've done it too and when I hear my husband telling me... you need to take care of yourself first so you can take care of us, I know I'm doing it again.  
It's hard to not feel guilty to take time to yourself as if it were a selfish thing to do.  How can you put you first with that long to do list?  But this is so far from the truth!  Taking care of you is part of your service to the Lord.  Don't neglect what I call the 3 keys to being healthy; mind [emotions], body, and soul [relationship with God].  

For me, this means daily time with God doing a devotional, listening to what my daughter calls "Jesus music" while doing house work.  Sometimes it's a podcast.  It means I eat foods that will build me up and increase my health and not foods that will over time destroy my body or leave me feeling empty.  It's taking time to exercise consistently because it renews my strength and boosts my confidence in my abilities.  I know that endorphins are God's natural gift to us.  A drug that we can't recreate. After exercise they are released and they trigger a positive feeling in your brain and it's no coincidence that exercise is linked to being able to help those with depression.  

Neglecting the 3 keys and putting you last is really not good for you, your family, or anyone you're close to you.  When you are taking care of you, you can better take care of everyone else.  Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.  It's far from selfish to want this and to make an effort to find time for you.  

"Do you not know that your body is the 
temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, 
whom you have from God, and you are not
your own?  For you were bought at a price;
therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit
which are God's.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20

So if you're reading this and you're in our challenge this month, I really want you to commit to finding time to make yourself a priority.  Do this for you because you deserve it!  I'm going to be walking this journey with you so let's make it a great first day and set the tone for the week.  Know that I will always be here for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright