Slider

Growing Plants/Grass in a Mason Jar

Monday, October 14, 2013

About two weeks ago I shared some fall lessons that we did and in the second one, we actually tried to grow something.  And guess what it worked!!

I saw these mason jar plants online and after failing to find cheap pots I decided the jars will do.  I do not at all have a green thumb, in fact I have killed every plant I've come into contact with.  I did remember a few years ago, the best first grade teacher I worked with telling me growing grass is fool proof.  I guess that's why they grow it every spring with the kids.   So for 50 cents I really didn't have much to lose.  If you saw the lesson you would know we put rocks on the bottom, then potting soil, last the seeds.


We watered it everyday and I placed it on the window sill above my sink and before a week, we had some short buds!!  We were so excited. 



About two weeks later, lots and lots of grass.  Once it started growing there was no stopping it.  I think the best part for her was being able to cut the grass and I of course helped.


Because the jar is clear you can see all the roots, which I think is pretty neat. 

I'm tempted to grow some herbs or maybe we will try some flowers one of these days.  It's a fun activity for the kiddos and if you want to make it educational check out the lesson HERE. 

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. I am trying this but having problems finding the seeds where did you get your at???

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright