Slider

Life and Death are in the Power of the Tongue

Monday, May 13, 2019

My mother in law knew that life and death are in the power of the tongue.  Words spoken repetitively have power because they become sealed into a deep pocket in our hearts.  Good or bad, we never forget the impactful words someone says to us. 
life


Since I was a teeny tiny teenager, this mighty woman spoke the same phrase to me OVER and OVER:

Whatever your hands' touch prospers. 

Beyond saying them, she also showed me that she truly believed it.  When I was a new mom I had the most basic sewing skills.  I would share my desire to create a dress for my daughter's first birthday and she believed I could, using the machine she bought me because I had a desire to learn how to sew.  
Untitled

I went through a phase where I want to open a small business.  She abundantly verbalized my ability and talent.  Whether it was setting up a craft booth of things I created, the short time I was a party planner, or when I became a health and fitness coach, she was always my first customer.  It has been 15 years and I still hear her saying: 

Whatever your hands' touch prospers.

Now as I talk about my desire to do ministry and write a book, she is cheering me on and offering her Amazon account as a venue where my yet to be written book will be sold.  At thirty-ish years old the words echo when I am creating, writing, mothering, doing the wife-y gig.  They softly whisper to me in moments of self-doubt.  They speak loudly in every new adventure I start and gives me confidence to excel. 
Untitled


These words also remind me that I have the same power to offer life giving words.  I think about my  kids and how I speak to them.  Am I mostly speaking life or death?  Is my tone motivating or deflating?  When I think about phrases that come out of my mouth repetitively I cringe because they mostly include:

Listen.
Lightning speed.
Clean your room.
Set the timer. 

Ya'll I'm not okay that these are the words my kids hear most frequently and likely in a deflating tone.    My heart desires to follow the example of my mother and speak powerful life-giving words.  I’ve been thinking about each of their personalities, gifts, and asking God what he wants them to hear OVER and OVER.  I’ve been praying for him to craft their power phrase that will rest in the small pocket in their hearts.  I want to speak powerful encouraging words that will echo as they grow, whisper in moments of doubt, and speak loudly into their future. 
Untitled

Today lets speak life, lots of it, to as many people as we can! 

Until next time,





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright