Slider

Meat Loaf or Meat Mush?

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Ever get tired of the same ol' recipes week to week.  Yup me too!  I am no chef in the kitchen but I really would love to be one day.  One day.....

I thought it would be fun to blog about the new recipes I try [and share some I love].  I figure that if the recipe sucks, then maybe someone out there reading can help me out.  If it is wonderful then it will be there for you to try too. 

Today, I tried a meat loaf.  We really aren't meat loaf kind of people but since the hubby got his wisdom teeth pulled it was on the list of foods he can eat.  The forming of the loaf was not successful and I ended up with meat mush but it actually tastes a lot better than it looks.  Even the hubby asked for seconds.  It isn't nearly as good as my old boss Chona's meat loaf but good enough for now.

And of course you have to have a starch with a veggie so homemade mashed potatoes and carrots it is.

Now for the recipe [suggestions are more than welcome!]

Ingredients: 
1 egg                                                                                 3 tbsp of chopped onion
1/4 cup of milk                                                                   1/2 lb of ground beef
1/3 cup of garlic bread crumbs                                            dash of salt and pepper

In a bowl, beat the egg. Add milk, bread crumbs, onion, salt, and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two loaves; place in a shallow baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.

Sauce:
1 1/2 tbsp of brown sugar                                             1 tbsp of mustard
1/4 cup of ketchp                                                         1/2 tbsp of vinegar


Combine the ketchup, brown sugar; spoon over meat loaves. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F; drain.

It really was a lot better than I expected and a good first pancake flop.  Maybe I will go ask Chona for her recipe.

3 comments:

  1. That actually looks really yummy! Any leftovers? I make my meatloaf without any sauce in it and make a gravy-type sauce on top. I don't have the recipe right now (it's probably still in a box on the ocean) but its meat, an egg, some spices, mushroom, and onion all inside. The gravy is mushrooms, a rue, some dijon mustard, and broth. I think meatloaf can get kinda mushy if there is too much liquid in it. You could always try ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef to make it stay together a bit better (beef is usually a bit more fatty and therefore more liquid). I will def get you that recipe when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to let the meatloaf cool or it will fall apart. :-) I add cheese and a cup of salsa, one egg, garlic, salt, pepper, oatmeal and bread crumbs to equal one cup...that is a cup of cheese too. Make the same topping. Yummy meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really awesome blog. I love it. So nice and welcoming i just love the way this website has been done. Love it. office.com/setup also check this one office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright