Slider

We Grew Snowflakes

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

When I was planning our crafts for January this one specifically caught my eye and I just thought it was so cool!  It reminded me of when I was a kid and how we tried to make rock candy with a string and sugar water.  That didn't work but these snowflakes actually did!

My love bug said we grew snow flakes and she is right!  It is so easy to do.  All you need is boiling water, borax, pipe cleaner, string, a pencil and some jars.  I already have borax because we make slime every once in awhile but you can find it in the laundry aisle.  It's so simple and it is pretty neat!

Once you boil the water, add three tablespoons for every cup of water.  Fill the jars.  Then make the pipe cleaners into snow flakes and attach the strings.  You can make blue snowflakes by using blue pipe cleaners or by adding blue food coloring to the water.  Let the mixture sit overnight.

The next morning it was so neat to see how our snowflakes went from fuzzy to crystallized!  She was amazed.  We grew snowflakes.  How fun!

Some snowflakes came out more crystallized than others and I really don't know why.  I know they aren't edible but I was tempted!  It looks so much like rock candy.

 Great way to share how God makes each snow flake different just like us.  He makes us each different and special.  If you have an older kid and want to explain the scientific phenomenon you can check THIS link out. 

I hung them up in our little window and if they make it to next year they may end up on the tree because they really are so pretty.  

Happy Snowy Wednesday!
 Until next time.  Toodles!



1 comment:

Please leave your email so I can repsond to your comment.

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright